"The success of Sew Rose is in large part thanks to the continued support of the San Lorenzo Valley and Santa Cruz County communities"
Burgundi Rose Thure
Burgundi Rose Thure is a southern California native who has spent the last 35+ years in the Bay Area. She was first introduced to sewing by her mother and both her grandmothers, and has been practicing her craft since age 11.
As a completely self taught entrepreneurial artist of custom soft goods, her goal is to guide her customers to make the best choices for their piece. She takes pride in executing their vision to the best of her abilities in a way that conveys beauty, integrity, and functionality.
Burgundi began her career in the 80’s as a costume designer for the theaters and renaissance fair of LA. Later, she became a costume supervisor in San Jose. While working in the theater, she had the opportunity to work as a stagehand for a movie filmed in the valley, called Behind the Redwood Curtain. The set designer for that movie asked if she knew how to make slipcovers, and she said yes she could, even though she had never made one before. Burgundi never turned down a challenge. The slipcover was for a tuxedo couch, and it turned out perfect! That is how her love for slipcovers was born.
Around that same time, Burgundi got her business license as Sew Rose. She began putting up Sew Rose ads in the yellow pages for clothing alterations and slipcovers. The jobs she received came in all varieties, from clothing to drapery to wedding dresses to slipcovers. She moved her business into The Pink House in 2002, and over time, the slipcover jobs began coming in more and more until finally she had to turn away requests for clothing alterations and could focus her time on her true passion: slipcovers.
The Pink House
The Pink House, historically known as the Hessey House, was built by Thomas Hessey in 1901. It is the oldest building still standing in Ben Lomond.
Thomas Hessey came to Ben Lomond around 1894 and established the first known barbershop in town. His residence initially stood in place of the Pink House but was later moved to the back of the lot and this two-story building was added. The first floor contained a meat market and mercantile in the 1900s, and by the 1920s became a telephone office with an operator who rang the first fire siren in town.
In 1954, Ben Lomond went to direct dialing and the building was sold to a photographer who turned it into Fredda C. Carr Photo Studio. Fredda Carr was an entrepreneur who is most notably known for documenting the flood of 1955.
When she retired in 1985 the building remained vacant for a few years before it became Avalon Sign Painting from 1992 - 1999. Afterward, the Pink House became Papa Joe’s Tattoo Parlor for a short time until Burgundi Rose Thure turned it into Sew Rose in 2002.